2021 event FAQs
The Brighton Half Marathon is postponed from 27th June 2021 to Sunday 10th October 2021 following the escalation of Covid-19 cases and delay to the road map out of lockdown in June 2021.
Here are some commonly asked questions. If you have a query which isn’t answered here, please email us email@example.com.
Q: Will the October 2021 event have Covid measures in place?
We will keep all participants up to date with news on the event as we get closer to race day and as guidelines are updated both locally and nationally.
Q: I can’t make the new October date. What are my options?
You have five options:
- Your 2021 race place will automatically be moved to the new date in October. You don’t need to contact us if you are happy to run on this revised date.
- You can transfer your 2021 race place to a friend or family member. Please contact us if you would prefer this option.
- If the new date doesn’t suit you, you can choose to move your place to our 27th February 2022 event. Please contact us to defer your place.
- Donate your race fee to The Sussex Beacon, the charity behind the event. Please contact us to take this option.
- Run a virtual half marathon on the original race date, Sunday June 27th, or in September or October to receive a 2021 race medal.
Please note that if you signed up via a charity place, we advise you to contact the charity directly.
If you cannot make the 2021 event but have already entered the 2022 race, please contact the event team directly.
If you would like to choose one of options 2-4, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st August 2021.
Q: Why did you go ahead with the June date?
We selected our June date in October 2020, before the second lockdown was announced and the subsequent road map had been published.
Q: Why are you cancelling so late in the day?
As recently as mid-May the significance of the Delta variant was still unknown, and the road map was on course for delivery. The speed of subsequent events has required a rapid reappraisal of Government strategy, and an extension of the road map out of lockdown.
Q: Other events have taken place, why is this event any different?
The size and nature of our event makes it impossible for us to comply with current Government guidelines to hold the event in Step 3.
The regulations under step 3 are that no events can be held that include more than 4,000 people. This includes staff, volunteers and spectators. It simply is not possible for us to run the event on that basis.
Q: How will a virtual race work?
You can run a half marathon in the months of September-October to be able to receive a race medal. To claim your medal, please email us proof of your 13.1 mile run (ie, a Garmin or Strava screen grab, for example).
Have a question which isn’t answered here? Please get in touch at email@example.com.