We are very sorry to announce that this year’s Brighton Half Marathon scheduled for the end of June is postponed to the autumn.
Yesterday’s Government announcement regarding the delay of the final easing of restrictions in the roadmap out of lockdown unfortunately means that we are forced to postpone the event.
However, Brighton & Hove City Council have moved quickly to help us secure a new date for our 2021 event which will be Sunday 10th October 2021.
An event the size of our race takes months of planning and our June date was selected back in the Autumn of 2020 to allow sufficient time for this planning to take place.
When the roadmap was announced, our planning was focused on delivering an event against the roadmap timetable for moving from Step 3 to Step 4 on June 21st.
The size and open access nature of our event plus the number of crowds we attract does not fit the criteria to allow us to proceed.
The regulations under Step 3 are that no events can be held that include more than 4,000 people. This includes staff, volunteers and spectators. It simply is not possible for us to run the event on that basis.
Our priority is always to ensure that runners, volunteers, staff and the wider community in the city are safe at the race. As an event, we are governed by national guidelines and agencies, which takes decisions out of our hands in unusual times such as these.
We understand just how disappointed you will be at the postponement so close to the race – all of us working on the event share this disappointment and we thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.
Please see all your options for the 2021 event below – we do hope you will join us for the rescheduled event on 10th October.
The Brighton Half Marathon team
Options for your 2021 place
- Your 2021 race place will automatically be moved to the new date on 10th October. You don’t need to contact us if you are happy to run on this revised date.
- You can transfer your 2021 race place to a friend or family member.
- If the new date doesn’t suit you, you can choose to move your place to our 2022 event on 27th February next year.
- Choose to donate your race fee to The Sussex Beacon, the charity behind the event.
- Run a virtual half marathon on the original race date, Sunday June 27th, or in September or October to receive a 2021 race medal.
Note that if you signed up to the event via a charity place, please contact the charity directly.
If you cannot make the 2021 event but have already entered the 2022 race, please contact the event team.
For options 2-4, please contact the race team at email@example.com by 31 August 2021.
We very much hope you’ll run with us on October 10th.
Have a question? Please see our FAQs page here.