Article by BHM
January 5, 2020 at 8:00 pm
Dementia devastates lives. It strips away memories, relationships and connections to the world. For someone with the condition, as well as their family and friends, dementia means the plans you made, and the future you thought you had, will not be so.
By 2025, over a million people will be living with the condition. Of the world’s top ten killer diseases, it’s the only one we can’t cure, prevent or even slow down. Too many people face dementia alone, finding it difficult to know who to turn to or where to go for information and support.
At Alzheimer’s Society, we know it doesn’t have to be like this. We are investing more money than ever in dementia research and until the day we find a cure, we will be here for anyone affected by dementia – wherever they are, whatever they’re going through.
Alzheimer’s Society are the UK’s leading dementia charity. Every day, we work tirelessly to find new treatments and, ultimately, a cure for dementia. We provide expert information, training, and support services to all those who need our help. And we are creating a more dementia friendly society so people with the condition can live without fear and prejudice.
How you can help
We want to stop dementia in its tracks through research. We’re committed to spending £150 million on cutting-edge research over the next decade but can only do this with the support of people like you. By joining Team Alzheimer’s Society at the Brighton Half Marathon, you can help us continue investing in our researchers and get us closer to our vision of a world without dementia.
£75 can pay for 20 microtome blades, used to create slices of the brain the thickness of a human hair. This enables researchers to study the intricate detail of brain cells, and the toxic proteins that cause dementia.
£100 covers Alzheimer’s Society’s cost of supporting one patient with early stage Alzheimer’s for three months on one of our vital trials. Their time and dedication provide us with the potential to treat symptoms and slow the progression of dementia.
£250 can pay for 100 microlitres of a special chemical that is applied to brain tissue, allowing researchers to study how brain cells are affected by the disease.
The benefits of joining Team Alzheimer’s Society
In return we’ll support you every step of the way, and provide you with some fantastic benefits:
- A fundraising pack with advice and inspiration to help you smash your target
- An Alzheimer’s Society running top to wear with pride on the day
- Access to our training zone, with training guides for all abilities as well as information from our professional coaches on everything you need to get you race-ready, including nutrition and tapering
- The most incredible race-day experience with the loudest cheer points on the course and a hero’s welcome at our post-race marquee where you can pick up some refreshments
- Most importantly, the knowledge that you are helping Alzheimer’s Society get one step closer to beating dementia
Join Team Alzheimer’s Society at the Brighton Half Marathon and you miles can help us beat dementia.